I’m in the process of setting up a new site every couple of days. I’m doing this because i believe that having a collection of sites is the best way to make money online. When i first launched bloggernoob, it was difficult to gain any traction because i was such a noob. Now i follow a checklist that i compiled. As i kept setting up new sites, i realized that i was doing the same things over and over again. I tried out a lot of different things to gain traffic and SEO. The first few sites took some time, but now, i am able to launch a new site in less then 1 hour.
1. First things first. You have to think about domain names. When you are shopping for domain, what do you look for? Are you looking for a short “brandable” domain, or are you planning on working the keywords. I like to go for both. I use the keyword rich domains to grow my collection of sites. The shorter names are good for banding a new site. For noobies, i’d recommend starting off with a short brandable dot com. As you gain more experience, start buying some some keyword rich domains to use in building up your brand. If you haven’t already purchased a domain, do so now at GoDaddy.com
2. Now on to hosting. There are a lot of web hosting sites to choose from. For someone just starting out, it can get a bit overwhelming. I had to learn by trial and error about all of the different hosting plans. A good host is one that provides good customer and technical support. It’s not just about the price or bandwidth. It’s about sql databases and add on domains. Anhosting is one of the web hosts that i would recommend if you are a noob. If you don’t already have hosting, get it at Ahnhosting.
4. Now it’s time to make some cosmetic changes to your blog. Install some free themes via ftp to replace the default wordpress theme. Nothing says noob like the default wordpress theme.
5. Get your own favicon. Favicons are those cute little avatars next to the URL. Notice that i have a square noob pic next to my URL address. Ain’t i a cutie?
6. Change the permalink structure of your blog. This will make your permalinks prettier and help with some SEO.
7. Install the google analytics code to your blog. You will need a free google gmail account. If you don’t already have one, get one now at google.com/analytics. You can install the code into the body of your site, or just use the google analytics plugin.
8. Add a sitemap for your site.
9. Trade links with other noobie bloggers. You can find a lot of people via forums like digitalpoint.
I could go on but i think this should be good for now. If you think i missed something, leave me a comment below. Hope this checklist for setting up a new blog has been helpful. Noob out!