Blogging for dollars is about writing posts not only for you readers, but also for the search engines. If your blog contains content that is keyword rich, but boring to read, you will lose out on the search engine hits. (cause noone will read the damn thing and click away) But, if you write engaging posts that the search engines don’t thoroughly index, then your blog won’t get a chance to even be read. Like everything in life, you have to find the right balance. I’ve compiled a list of things that should be included into every one of your blog posts. I personally use this checklist, and so far, it has helped me gain readership and increased the online income. If you want to make money online, include the following into your blog.
1. Include an image into each and every post. I get religious about this issue. Pictures do add up to a thousand words to your post. Every day, i get around 200 visits to this blog via Google. Half of them are from the keywords i’ve been working on, and half of them are from my images. That’s a big chuck of traffic sent just by pasting up a few pictures. Make sure that you label your images and try to make it relevant to your post.
2. Link to yourself in your post. Try to always have at least two links to your own site. If you notice, most of my blog posts have links to my homepage. This helps google recognize you site and keywords. As your site grows, your link will have more power to it. But, it doesn’t hurt to get in the habit of doing it. Link once to your homepage, and once to one of your individual posts.
3. Bold your text. It gets hard to read a lot of text. Having certain phrases highlighted in bold makes it easy on the eyes and easy to follow. Not to mention, google will be able to lock in to your search terms a bit better. Bold your keywords, and key phrases.
4. Use the more function. The more function becomes important after you have added a lot of content to your blog. If you are starting out, don’t use the more function in your post. It’s better to have a lot of text on the front page for google to see. But, after your site grows and you get readership, make it easier on your guests to scroll down to your other posts. Code your theme so that you have your keywords as part of your “MORE” link. (Noobies, if you don’t know what the more function is, leave me a comment and i’ll explain it a bit more.) (My more link was “read more to make more money.” It got you to the full article)
5. Include links to authority sites in your niche. This is especially crucial for blogs that are new. When you set up a new blog, google won’t touch your site. Why? Because there are too many sites on the web. Even the almighty google can’t get to them all. Do you realize that a gazillion pages are added every hour on the net? So, in order for your little site to be recognized, you need to call out to a big site. Think of google as a wiretap agent. Google spends all of it’s time listening in on peoples conversations. (links) They only tap the big sites. So, in order for you to be heard, you have to call up one of the big guys. You have to link to a dirty politician sort of speak. Linking to sites like wikipedia or techcrunch usually work best. Or, find authority sites in your niche and link to them. Shoot…link to me!
6. Write something entertaining. Write something personal. Get your readers interested. Your blog only has a chance of getting read if you make the right impression. Humor your audience with analogies and scenarios. Write metaphors and use a lot of examples. Clever ones like my Google=wiretap agent one.
7. Reply to the comments left by your readers. This is common courtesy. Your readers took some time off in their busy day to write on your stupid blog. You should at the very least acknowledge their comment with a little reply of your own. Comments are the backbone of blog posts. If blogs didn’t have comments, it would just be another boring, 1998, static, html web page. Boring! Yawn….
This was a mother list. I feel pretty good about this checklist. I think if you follow this list, you should be able to make some money online. Since this was a long post, i wanted to reward my loyal readers by awarding them some domain names. Leave me a useful comment and you will be entered to win a domain name. I gave out around 10 domain names in my last domain giveaway. I think i’ll give away around 5 this time around.